As this year winds down, you’ve probably heard the phrase, “happy holidays!” (or some derivate of it, such as “Merry Christmas”, “Happy Hanukah!”, or “Heri za Kwanzaa!”)
With so many ways to wish someone a happy holiday (and so many holidays in and around December and January), it got me to thinking about all the different ways there are to celebrate your holiday of choice. So, I set out to ask some of our staff what they do to make the season merry!
I got some interesting answers – maybe you’ll consider adding one of these traditions to your own holiday.
- We watch a movie on Christmas night – for the last several years it’s been Star Wars!
- I’m Irish, so one really strong tradition is… (we get it!)
- We gather around in the morning to open stocking presents then have a light breakfast. Around noon, we head over to the grandparent’s house and open presents and have Christmas supper. Then the evening consists of board games, drinks, and just chilling out and enjoy each other’s company and catching up.
- For Chinese New Year, my family always goes to have dim sum in the morning, followed by visiting family and getting Red Pocket (a monetary gift which is given during holidays and special occasions).
- Our family gets together early on Christmas Eve and spends the day cooking, visiting and playing games. We chose Christmas Eve as our big celebration because many people we know don’t celebrate it with their families so we often have friends pop by for a visit or dinner.
- For the last 22 years, my family and I have spent the holidays in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
- We host a large Christmas Eve dinner for all our extended family – there are around 50 or 60 people every year.
- When we visit my in-laws, Christmas Day is spent with my father-in-law’s family. We rent a hall – because no one’s house is big enough to hold all those aunts, uncles, cousins, second cousins, and significant others! In my own family, Christmas isn’t Christmas until we watch National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, and my favourite “Christmas” sound is my dad laughing at all the same parts every year.
Share your holiday traditions in the comments!